Electrostatic Spray Tribo Charging the second most common method
Posted by: doPowder | on May 30, 2012
Electrostatic Spray Tribo Charging is the second most common method of spraying a powder coating powder. This method relies on the powder to develop a charge while passing through special hoses and guns. As powder contacts these non-conductive surfaces,electrons are stripped off of the particles due to friction. These particles then develop a powerful positive charge. No high voltage or lines of force are used which allows for easier penetration into deep recesses. Tribo charging is efficient in developing a static charge within the powder,however,coatings must be specifically formulated for this system.
- No high voltage required;
- Better penetration into recessed areas;
- Slightly lower capital costs
- level of charge varies with powder chemistry and formula
- Slower rate of application;
- Transfer efficiency is lower than corona charging system;
- Required more guns;
- Wears out parts faster.